Fictitious Business Name Statements

Assembly Bill 878, effective January 1, 2024, removes the requirement for a registered owner/registrant’s residence address. The FBN Statement form has been updated and requires the business and registrant's mailing address. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact our office at Thank you.

Search for a Fictitious Business Name

There are two ways you can file a Fictitious Business Name Statement, they are as follows.

In Person

If you would like to file your Fictitious Business Name Statement in one of our office locations, you will need to complete an application and schedule an appointment. Please use the following links:

By Mail

To process an order by mail, you will need to download the appropriate form from the following options:

Under Business and Professions Code 17900 et seq., the purpose of a Fictitious Business Name Statement is to protect those dealing with individuals or partnerships doing business under a fictitious name. The filing of a fictitious business name certificate is designed to make available to the public the identity of person(s) who are legal owners of the business. This form does not give you exclusive use of the name. Any registrant may file a Fictitious Business Name Statement when the principal place of business is located in the County of El Dorado.

This process does not preclude a person from filing a fictitious business name statement in a county other than that where the principal place of business is located, as long as the requirements of this section are also met. If the registrant has no place of business in this state, the registrant shall file with the Clerk of Sacramento County Business and Professions Code Section 17915.

Renewal Notices

The Recorder-Clerk's Office will send out a reminder renewal notice on Department letterhead approximately 60 days prior to your statement expiring. Your renewal can be done in person or by mail.

You may receive notices from other vendors regarding your renewal, these companies are not associated with the Recorder-Clerk Office and charge additional fees.

If you would like to file a complaint about Misleading Solicitations, please see Action for Fraudulent Letters.