Building Services HUB


This is our new and improved El Dorado County Building Services website. Please read on to find if a permit is required; how/where to apply; what to have with you upon submittal; what fees are entailed; etc.
All of your permit needs are listed out in these tabs. 

Services/ ETrakit

Damage Reporting for Fire Districts

District Fire Reports

Want to check permit status? Pay fees? Schedule an inspection? Check time of inspection?


Permit Processing

 Trade Permits by Licensed Contractors are being accepted via email with payment via E-TRAKiT. All other applications and submittals are being processed in the Building Department office during our regular business hours. For permitting questions within the Tahoe Basin please call (530)621-5315.

Apply for a residential solar or energy storage system permit. EDC has launched an instant permit program for Residential Solar and Battery (ESS). Powered by Symbium, at your convenience, the system allows for submittal, review, and issuance online! We are adamantly working on making more projects available for online submittal.

Building Design Criteria and Parcel Data

Snow Load/FEMA Safety Guide(PDF, 318KB) 

County Maintained Roads


Guidance on Permitting

This tab is designated to help you decide if a permit is required for projects, help decipher what type of project you are applying for and what is required upon submittal. Please read information thoroughly to make sure that you have everything upon submittal.


How Long Do I Have?

The Application
  • The permit application is valid for 365 days. You should keep track of the date to avoid problems as the expiration date approaches. Once expired, the permit application is not renewable; you simply start over. Extension of the application may only be granted if a delay is caused by a governmental agency and only for time the application was delayed by that agency. There may be fee building service credits for a reapplication if within 6 months and the first permit application was ready to issue. All plans and documents will be destroyed within 180 days from submittal date if not picked up from Development Services.
The Plan Review
  • We review plans in the order received. As a result, our turnaround time will vary. At the time of submittal, we ask you to review a checklist of required information and sign that all documentation is present. Having all the necessary information at the time of plan review is a must for us and ensures that your application will experience no unnecessary delay in being reviewed. If the application is incomplete in any way, you will be notified by mail and your place in line forfeited. When we receive all the required information, you will once again be included in the plan review order, but the operative date will be the date of the new submittal.
The Permit
  • The permit is valid for two years from the issuance date. If you find you cannot finish your project within the prescribed time, you may renew your permit two times only for a period of one year each if construction has proceeded in a timely manner showing progress with approved inspections. There will be a renewal fee based on the percentage of progress that has occurred. If four years are not sufficient for construction, the permit may be reactivated with a new permit number and review of the projects progress.


All construction shall comply with current codes and ordinances.

Information is exclusive of the Tahoe Basin. Special Conditions apply to the Tahoe Basin.



Applications and Supplemental Apps

App-Submittal Checklists & Handouts 


Updated Fee Schedule

What Are Mitigation Fees?

Sample Building Fee Estimates by Zone

Please find below the zone map for El Dorado County. Refer to it to find out which zone your home will be located in. Once you determine the zone, please refer to the sample fee sheets and charts. Site built means a custom home and manufactured is self-described. 

The typical fee estimates are based on a 2,500 square foot home, 440 square foot garage, and 200 square foot of deck/covered porch in each zone. 

The Permit Fee Distribution Charts show how the fees that are collected by Building Services with your permit are distributed among various funds, agencies and County departments that provide services for your project. The portion of the total fee that is retained by Building Services to cover the cost of plan review, inspection, records management and related permit services is approximately 16% of the total fee for a permit for a typical new home. If you have any questions, or need further information about your fees, please do not hesitate to contact our office


Download a larger map(PDF, 6MB)

Land Use & Development Services Fees

Multiple checks may be required at time of permit issuance depending on the type of permit: one for the permit, one for the school fee, one for the Air Quality fee, and one for DOT encroachment permits. Each check is made to the respective agency.  

We DO ACCEPT CARD PURCHASES, with a 3% service fee added at time of payment. Personal or bank draft checks accepted as well as US currency. 

HALF OF THE BUILDING PERMIT FEE AND THE ENTIRE PLANNING FEE ARE COLLECTED AT TIME OF PERMIT APPLICATION. The remainder of the building permit fee and other agency fees will be collected at the time of permit issuance. 

  • All parcels in El Dorado County are subject to Traffic Impact Mitigation fees (TIM) and vary based on location. Contact the Department of Transportation (DOT) to determine if your permit meets the TIM fee criteria. 
  • You also need to contact Department of Transportation (DOT) if your project requires an upgraded encroachment of if you install a new or additional driveway. 
  • Rural parcels may require a well and septic system. Residential additions and revisions are subject to a review fee if the property uses a septic system. 
  • Your parcel may be in an asbestos area. A review and associated fee will be required by Air Quality Management District (AQMD).
  • Please contact Environmental Management for information concerning permit requirements and fees.  


Building Codes and Policies

We have included Building Services policies, code interpretations and general inspection information.

Zoning Ordinance regulations may apply.  Please check Parcel Data to determine flood zone status (Zones A, A1-A-9, A14, A24, B, or AE).  If in a flood zone, new regulations require evidence that the project is at or above the Base Flood Elevation (BFE).  Please contact Planning Services at (530)621-5355 for further information.

California Building Standards in Effect

Effective January 1, 2023, the 2022California Building Standards Code (California Code of Regulations, Title 24) as shown below will become effective on a statewide basis. For information on previous codes please go to The California Building Standards Commission

California Building Standards Code Referenced Model Code
2022 California Administrative Code
Title 24, Part 1
California Code of Regulations, Title 24
2022 California Building Code
Title 24, Part 2, Vol. 1 & 2
2022 International Building Code (ICC)
2022 California Residential Code
Title 24, Part 2.5
2022 International Residential Code (ICC)
2022 California Electrical Code
Title 24, Part 3
2014 National Electrical Code (NFPA)
2022 California Mechanical Code
Title 24, Part 4
2015 Uniform Mechanical Code (IAPMO)
2022 California Plumbing Code
Title 24, Part 5
2015 Uniform Plumbing Code (IAPMO)
2022 California Energy Code
Title 24, Part 6
California Code of Regulations, Title 24
2022 California Historical Building Code
Title 24, Part 8
California Code of Regulations, Title 24
2022 California Fire Code
Title 24, Part 9
2015 International Fire Code (ICC)
2022 California Existing Building Code
Title 24, Part 10
2015 International Existing Building Code (ICC)
2022 California Green Building Standards Code
Title 24, Part 11
California Code of Regulations, Title 24
2022 California Referenced Standards Code
Title 24, Part 12
California Code of Regulations, Title 24

The current 2022 Codes govern the construction of all building projects that have an application date of January 1, 2023, or later. However, if your project or application was in progress before the January 1, 2023 date, the earlier 2019 Codes will still be in effect during your construction inspections and/or the plan check process. You must keep the permit current and show progress on your project. A permit is good for two years from the date of issuance and may be renewed for an additional year. The reactivation of an expired permit will require a review for the update to the new codes, depending on the progress of the construction.

  Fire Safe Regulations 


Damage Reporting for Fire Districts 
Resource Conservation Districts 

The following Resource Conservation Districts may be involved in your permit process. Contact them directly for fees and other related information. 


Water Districts 

The following water districts may be involved in your permit process. Contact them directly for fees and other related information. 






  • What is an allocation and why are they needed?
    • Overview: An allocation is one half of what is required to build a residential unit. When matched with a development right, it allows the property owner to submit plans for construction of a new residential unit. Both an allocation and development right are required to build a residential unit. A development right is the other half of what is required to build a residential unit. Typically, each undeveloped residential lot has one development right associated with it. If more than one housing unit is proposed for a site, additional development rights need to be purchased and transferred to the parcel to match the allocations received.
    • For more information, here is a link to Developmental Rights
  • Are there currently any allocations available?
    • To find out current availability please call the Building Dept at 530-621-5315
  • How do I get on a list for an allocation?
    • You must be the current property owner, complete an allocation application form and submit a fee of $1,300.00.
  • Can my spot on the allocation waiting list be transferred to a new owner?
    • No. If a property is sold and the owner was on the allocation list, their placement on the list would be forfeited. The new owner would need to apply for an allocation and be placed on the list in the order received.

Allocation Disbursement Program Information(PDF, 591KB)

Pre-Allocation Early Submittal Review Program(PDF, 118KB)


Site Assessments

Site Assessment FAQ

  • What is a site assessment?
    • Prior to applying for a permit to modify or expand the footprint of your residence or other types of coverage, you must first determine if you have land coverage available. Land coverage is a man-made structure, improvement, or covering that prevents normal precipitation from directly reaching the surface of the land. Such structures, improvements or coverings could include roofs, decks, paved surfaces, walkways, driveways, parking lots, tennis courts and patios. Land coverage can also include compacted soil used for walking or driving on. TRPA limits the amount of coverage in order protect lake clarity by itemizing the amount of land available to infiltrate water and filter nutrients
  • Do I need a site assessment?
    • Most vacant single-family residential parcels were evaluated under the IPES system starting in 1987 and were assigned a score and percent of base allowable coverage. A site assessment is not needed for properties with an IPES score. If you have a vacant residential parcel that has not yet received an IPES score, you can apply for an IPES evaluation using this form through TRPA at TRPA IPES Application
    • If land capability or land coverage have already been verified on your property (or was approved as part of a past permit), there is no need for another evaluation. Please note, only stamped plans approved after July 1, 1987 can be used to verify land capability and coverage in lieu of a site assessment. Visit the parcel tracker to view TRPA records relating to land coverage, land capability, and IPES. Lake Tahoe Parcel Tracker El Dorado County Building Department may also have this information as well. Parcel research requests can be made here: Parcel Research Request(PDF, 335KB)
  • When is a Site Assessment not Required?
    • A site assessment is not required if:
      • A TRPA permit was issued for the property since July 1987, and existing and allowable land coverage for the property has been verified by TRPA or El Dorado County. A site assessment is not required for a vacant parcel with an IPES score. You can find your IPES score here Lake Tahoe Parcel Tracker. A site assessment is also not required for a project which must be reviewed by TRPA. Projects involving the following categories must be reviewed by TRPA, therefore, site assessments will not be necessary for:
        • Non-residential properties
        • Lakefront properties
        • Multi-family dwellings with greater than 4 units
        • Parcels within a Planned Development (PD) not approved under current TRPA rules and ordinances
  • How do I request a site assessment?
    • Step 1: Determine what type of evaluation you need. If coverage or land capability information is not available on your property, one of these evaluations will be needed: Full Site Assessment: Verification of both land capability and existing coverage for single-family residential properties built before 1987. The Land capability verification will assign a score ranging from 1-7, based on an evaluation of soil type and slope. This score correlates to a percentage of base allowable coverage (ranging from 1-30 percent). The land coverage verification will determine if the existing coverage legally exists (i.e. created before February 10th, 1972 or created thereafter with a permit and still existing on-site on October 15, 1986). It is possible to have coverage beyond the base allowable be grandfathered on your property.
    • Step 2: Prepare a site plan: The application checklist details all elements that must be included on the site plan. Professional surveys are not required, but the site plan must be accurate and to scale. You can view a sample site plan here Sample Site Plan
    • Step 3: Gather all evidence that the land coverage is legally existing: Such evidence may include: original appraisal/assessor records from the County Assessor’s Office, county/city permit records, utility records, tax records, dated photos or aerial photography. Provide ALL available evidence
    • Step 4: Site assessment full and partial requests can be submitted using this application: Site Assessment Application(PDF, 211KB) Complete the application form, determine your application fees, gather all required checklist items, and submit to El Dorado County Building Department.
    • Step 5: Site visit: Once your application is received it will be assigned to a building inspector for field verification and further review. It will not be possible to conduct a site visit when there is snow on the ground.
    • Step 6: Receive your results. Upon completion of site visit and review of coverage your site assessment results will be sent to your mailing address.
    • Step 7: Appeal Procedures: Land Capability can be re-reviewed at any time through the land capability challenge process. You may challenge the land capability through TRPA here: Land Capability Challenge Application
      • Land coverage can be re-reviewed at any time through a partial site assessment (only additional evidence will be reviewed). If you disagree with the final staff determination, you may appeal within 21 days of the date the results were issued through TRPA. Appeal applications can be found at: Notice of Appeal Application.pdf


TRPA Submittal Req

Items that need to be included in your plans for TRPA projects
  • Proposed and existing land coverage calculations by Land Capability District (with breakdown for type of coverage, i.e. buildings, paving, decks, walks, sheds etc.)
    • If more than one land capability, amount of coverage in each zone
  • BMP's (Best Management Practices) temporary and permanent, including BMP calculations for sizing, label and location of each BMP and details of each type of BMP. See also BMP Handbook 
  • Elevation of the highest roof ridge and lowest elevation of foundation wall/pier at natural grade, with the allowable height from TRPA’s table 37.3.1-1, show roof pitch and slope of building site.
  • Baily’s or IPES score and allowable coverage. Include Site Assessment letter and site plan if applicable.
  • Location and dimensions of proposed structures including overhang coverage reductions at 3:1
  • Driveway drainage:
    • Detail depth of drywell and dimension location of sediment trap from edge of driveway. Note: driveway with a slope of 5% or greater requires a slotted drainIdentify driveway slope in percentage.
    • Include driveway profile which will show connection of pavement at street and the flowline at County Right of Way, swale or slotted drain for BMP
  • Tree locations, Species and size of all trees 6 inches or greater, mark those to be removed or trimmed and all rock outcroppings –Indicate on plans all trees and other natural items proposed to be removed.
  • Off-site coverage calculations (note if offsite coverage will be mitigated by allowable coverage)
  • Allowable land coverage calculations by Land Capability Districts (or IPES info) including transferred coverage, if applicable (indicate total lot size in square feet) Location of stream environment zone (SEZ), with required setback(s) Verified Backshore boundary and high-water lines for Tahoe Keys and lakefront parcels

Findings: This document lists all required findings for Single-family residential projects, organized by Code chapter and subsection. The applicant must read through the findings (Section IV in this document) to determine which pertain to their specific project.

Scenic Impact Assessment (If Applicable)

Coverage exemption form (if applicable)

TRPA qualified exempt Activities

Qualified Exempt, QE, activities are exempt from TRPA review.

  • QE activities are generally minor improvements such as structural modifications, remodels, additions of non-permanent structures, or projects that do not create or relocate coverage as a part of the activity. All QE projects require a completed and signed Qualified Exempt Activities Declaration Form.

Qualified_Exempt_Activity_Application.pdf (



October 15 Winterization Requirement!

Onsite Pre-Grade Inspections Form(PDF, 738KB)


El Dorado County Building Department and Tahoe Regional Planning Agency (TRPA) inspects all construction sites to determine compliance with these winterization requirements. This is a courtesy notice provided to you so you have time to prepare for this inspection. Please be advised that the following conditions apply to all projects under construction, as stated in the Standard Conditions of Approval and the TRPA Code of Ordinances.

All construction sites must be winterized between October 15 and May 1*. We will be conducting on-site winterization inspections the first two weeks in October. Corrections will require a follow-up site inspection, conducted after 48 hours to verify completion. A failed winterization inspection after October 15th will result in a $144.00 re-inspection fee.

All construction sites must meet the following winterization requirements:

  1. Grading is PROHIBITED on all construction sites between October 15 and May 1*
  2. Install and maintain effective temporary sediment control devices (fiber rolls, silt fence), with extra attention paid to areas where water may concentrate or pond. Temporary BMPs must not be located where they may interfere with snow removal operations.
  3. Install and maintain effective temporary fencing for the protection of vegetation.
  4. Stabilize disturbed and bare soil areas with erosion control blankets or by applying a thin layer (no more than 1 inch thick) of organic mulch (wood chips, pine needles) with the following guidance:
    1. No organic mulch within 5 feet of any structure. Inorganic mulch (gravel) is acceptable in this area.
    2. Apply organic mulch sparingly on no more than 50% of bare soil in the project area. Patches of organic mulch should be applied to areas where there is a higher risk of erosion.
    3. Before the start of grading season (May 1), all organic mulch needs to be removed from within 30 feet of all structures. Needles and leaves that fall after the spring removal period can accumulate on the ground as long as they are not within 5 feet of any structure and do not create a fire hazard.
  5. For all cut and fill slopes, install permanent (rock riprap, retaining walls, vegetation) or temporary (erosion control blankets, hydro mulch with tackifier) stabilization measures.
  6. Cleanup and remove all on-site construction debris and spoil piles.
  7. With approval, stockpiles may remain on-site over the winter; however, they must be covered with a durable material or plastic sheeting and have full perimeter containment using either a filter fabric fence or staked/weighted fiber rolls. Store stockpiles away from sensitive or erosion-prone areas.

For active construction sites where work will continue between October 15 and May 1, the following requirements are also mandatory:

  1. Driveways, parking areas and material storage areas shall be hard plowable surfaces.
  2. Parking of vehicles and storage of building materials shall be restricted to paved areas.
  3. Sweep daily to recover sediment that has been tracked off the construction site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

If you have any questions, please contact El Dorado County Building at (530)621-5315

Sample Site Plan(PDF, 708KB)


Other Important Building Services Information


El Dorado County is committed to doing everything possible to help those affected by the Caldor Fire receive all necessary assistance. Please see below for direct contacts to the agencies that can provide support during and after the fire. 

Important Caldor Information:

County Recovery Resources

State Government Recovery Resources

Caldor Fire Local Assistance Center


Boards, Commissions and Committees

  • Building Appeals Board determine the suitability of alternate materials & methods of construction & to provide for reasonable interpretations of Building Code
  • Building Industry Advisory Committee - The Building Industry Advisory Committee meets quarterly. Meetings begin at 1:30 PM and are held in Building C, TAC Meeting Room, First Floor, 2850 Fairlane Court, Placerville, CA 95667.

California Code Associations

Code Organizations

Federal Agencies

Testing and Informational Sites

Permit Reports

Contact Us

Building Services

Placerville Office
2850 Fairlane Court
Placerville, CA

View Map


Monday - Friday
7:00 AM - 12:00 PM
1:00 PM - 4:00 PM


9:00 AM - 12:00 PM

1:00 PM - 4:00 PM

Before 12:00:  Walk-Ins
After 1:00:  Appointments only

South Lake Tahoe Office

924 B Emerald Bay Road
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
(530) 573-3330

Monday, Tuesday and Thursday
8:00 am - 12:00 pm
1:00 pm - 2:00 pm

Additional Contact

Do you need help with a permit or planning issue? Comments? Feedback? Contact the Planning and Building Services liaison.

If you're a licensed contractor and need a trade-type permit, please visit Licensed Contractors Trade Email Permit Program.

Org Chart

El Dorado County Planning and Building Department Organizational Chart