Development Review Agency Contact List

The Planning Division is the primary contact for permit requests. We determine whether your development proposal conforms to state and local planning regulations. Further, we complete or coordinate any environmental review that is required by California state law. The Planning Division works closely with other department representatives, and we will represent the county at any public hearings for your project. After your project is approved, the Planning and Building Department, will issue any required land use, grading, and building permits.

Numerous on-line tools and resources are available to assist you through the process. Perhaps the best place to begin your research is the Parcel Data lookup screen. You will find parcel specific information such as zoning, General Plan land use designation, and applicable fire district

While not every application is reviewed by each department, you may want to contact the departments listed below to determine what, if any, conditions could be required for approval of your project. This list is by no means all-inclusive. Rather, it is to serve as a basis from which to begin your research and, in turn, to facilitate quicker processing times.

Upon submission of a formal application, your project will be distributed to any and all applicable departments and agencies. These agencies, along with a representative from the Planning Division, will review your project together at a Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) meeting which will be scheduled early in the planning process. When your project is reviewed, each respective agency will provide comments in the form of technical advice, analysis, and conditions of approval to be applied by the decision making body. The Planning Division compiles the agency comments, along with information obtained through our own research, to develop documents and a recommendation intended to aid elected and appointed officials in their decision making.

Listed below is the name of each reviewing department and examples of the types of issues reviewed by each:

County Departments

Agricultural Commission
(530) 621-5520
The Agricultural Commission acts in an advisory capacity to the Board and the Planning Commission on all matters related to agriculture. The Agricultural Commission's scope of interest includes a wide variety of agricultural, timber and land use issues including agricultural land preservation, agricultural production, forest land preservation and forest production.

Air Quality Management District
(530) 621-7501
The AQMD reviews potential construction and long term operational air quality impacts, such as dust generation, automobile emissions, and stationary source emissions.

County Surveyor
(530) 621-5440
The County Surveyor’s office assures project compliance with the requirements of the Subdivision Map Act, the Land Surveyor Act, Chapter 16 of County Code, and the setting of proper monuments (for subdivision and parcel maps, mergers, boundary line adjustments, and certificates of compliance only).

Department of Transportation (DOT)
(530) 621-5900
DOT reviews issues such as traffic circulation, roadway capacity, encroachment permits, safety and right of way issues, and can identify the ownership status (public or private) of a road.

Environmental Management
(530) 621-5300
Environmental Management reviews well systems, private sewage disposal systems, food service permits, and hazardous materials and waste.

Parks and Trails
(530) 621-5360
This office reviews potential impacts to local recreational facilities and access, such as trails, parks, and river access.

Local Outside Agencies

You should contact any public services district which has jurisdiction over your project site, such as local school and fire districts which often assess development fees prior to processing applications for building permits. If the property is within the architecturally controlled area of El Dorado Hills CSD or Cameron Park CSD, architectural approval of the plans from the district prior to permit issuance is a requirement. Failure to obtain approval may delay issuance of your permit. Finally, check with your individual association for any restrictions (e.g., C.C. & R’s) that may affect your project. Neither Planning nor Building Services enforce association restrictions. As such, it is your responsibility to insure compliance.

Local Agency Formation Committee (LAFCO)
(530) 295-2707
Reviews and approves proposed incorporations of new cities, the formation of new special districts, and consolidations, mergers, and dissolutions of existing districts. Additionally, LAFCO reviews and approves contractual service agreements, determines spheres of influence for each city and district, and may initiate proposals involving district consolidation and dissolution.

Fire Districts

California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection
(916) 445-8200

El Dorado County Fire Protection District
(530) 644-9630
The Fire District reviews for adequate fire protection access, hydrant location(s), protection systems, water availability, and hazardous material storage and waste disposal.
If your project site is not served by County Fire, contact your local fire district for information. For more information, including contacts, visit

Cameron Park Fire Department
(530) 677-6190

Diamond Springs - El Dorado Fire Protection District
(530) 626-3190

El Dorado Hills Fire Department
(916) 933-6623

Fallen Leaf Fire Department
(530) 542-1343

Garden Valley Fire Protection District
(530) 333-1240

Georgetown Fire Department
(530) 333-4111

Lake Valley Fire Protection District
(530) 577-3737

Latrobe Fire Protection District
(530) 677-6366

Meeks Bay Fire Protection District
(530) 525-7548

Mosquito Fire Protection District
(530) 626-9017

Pioneer Fire Protection District
(530) 620-4444

Rescue Fire Protection District
(530) 677-1868

South Lake Tahoe Fire Department
(530) 542-6163


El Dorado Irrigation District (EID)
(530) 622-4513
This agency may provide water and/or sewer service to your project. If you do require their services, you must submit an application to the District requesting a Facilities Improvement letter (FIL).

Georgetown Divide Public Utility District (GDPUD)
(530) 333-4356
This agency may provide irrigation and domestic water supplies and/or on-site wastewater disposal if your project is located in the Georgetown Divide area.

Grizzly Flats Community Services District
(530) 622-9626
The District has the responsibility of providing treated water for domestic use and fire protection to the residents within its service area.

Other Agencies

El Dorado County Office of Education
(530) 295-2202
School districts are authorized by state law to levy a development fee on new construction for the purpose of paying their required share of school building construction. The fee is levied based on the square footage of residential and commercial/industrial building that takes place in the districts.

El Dorado County and Georgetown Divide Resource Conservation Districts
(530) 295-5630
Resource Conservation Districts are grassroots government organizations that advise and assist individual landowners and public agencies in planning and implementation of conservation practices for the protection, restoration, or development of land, water, and related natural resources.