Ombudsperson Program

image of child pouring water over their head

If you have an open case with a local child support agency – you have rights and responsibilities regarding the services you receive through the local child support agency (LCSA).

If you're not satisfied with the assistance you’re receiving from the local child support agency (LCSA) you have the right to file a complaint through the Complaint Resolution Program. For more information about the Complaint Resolution Process, please click here.

The party who has/had custody or the parent who does not have custody may file a complaint if there is a case open with the Department of Child Support Services.

Talk to the Ombudsperson!

If you need help with a problem, ask to speak with the LCSA's Ombudsperson – it is his or her job to:

  • Help you get child support services
  • Explain your rights and responsibilities
  • Help you resolve problems with your case
  • Explain the complaint process before, during, and after a complaint is filed
  • Help you request and prepare for a state hearing if you are not satisfied with the results of the complaint resolution process

Ombudsperson Program

The Ombudsperson Program shall provide, as appropriate, assistance to custodial parties, non-custodial parties, employers, and the public:

  • On inquiries about the Child Support Program, local complaint resolution, and State hearings
  • On issues regarding actions taken by the local child support agency and/or Franchise Tax Board
  • By reviewing inquiries and issues and resolving them or making recommendations to resolve them prior to a complaint being filed
  • By assisting custodial parents and non-custodial parents in navigating the local Complaint Resolution and State Hearing Processes (see below)
  • By providing written, Department-approved informational materials related to the Ombudsperson Program, the local Complaint Resolution Process, the State Hearing Process, and/or other child support-related information

Complaint Resolution Process

If you have a complaint against your local child support agency or theFranchise Tax Boardfor any action or inaction regarding your child support case, you have the right to requestComplaint Resolution.

You can make a complaint in writing by completing and submitting a Complaint Resolution Form (LCR001) to your local child support agency or you can call directly at (866) 901-3212.


State Hearing Process

You can request a State Hearing after you have gone through the Complaint Resolution Process. You have the right to a State Hearing if the local child support agency does not respond to you within 30 days after receiving your complaint, or you are not satisfied with the local Child Support Agency's Complaint Resolution or response.

You can request a State Hearing in writing by sending a Request for Hearing Form (SH001) to the State Hearing Office, or you can call them directly at (866) 289-4717.

For more information, view the CA Department of Child Services website.