Veteran Services FAQ

How do I file a disability claim with the VA?

Who Is Eligible?

You may be eligible for disability compensation if you have a service-related disability and you were discharged under other than dishonorable conditions.

If you currently have a chronic medical condition that you feel was caused or made worse because of your service, you may be eligible for compensation.

Where Do I Start?

The DD-214
The DD-214 is required in order to file a disability claim (Record of Discharge or Release from Active Duty) from the Military. If you do not have this document, our office can obtain one for you.

The Service Treatment / Medical Records
The Service Treatment Records are a chronological record of your medical treatment while serving in the military. If the medical conditions have persisted after separation or discharge, and you went to a civilian or VA doctor for follow on care, a copy of these records will be required as well. These documents will show the VA that continuity of the medical condition(s) has continued after military service and are current. All medical records of treatment after military service should be included in the initial disability claim; our office can assist you to obtain these records.

The Dependents Supporting Documentation
Supporting documentation for dependents consists of marriage certificate, divorce decree(s), all of children’s birth certificates, death certificate. Every document is necessary to ensure that you receive the maximum amount of benefits from the Veterans Administration that you may be entitled to.

Now That I have my need documents what do I do?
The El Dorado County Department of Veteran Affairs Office has Veterans Service Representatives fully accredited with the US Department of Veteran Affairs, ready to assist you throughout the claim process. We will complete all the necessary forms and file all appropriate documentation required to file your claim for disability compensation with the Veteran Administration.

How long does a claim take to process with the VA?

The amount of time it takes to review and process your VA claim depends on:

  • The type of claim you filed
  • How many injuries or disabilities you claimed and how complex they are
  • How long it takes us to collect the evidence needed to decide your claim

The VA will contact you when they have made a decision or need additional information. Refer to the VA website for more details.

Do I qualify for VA Health Care?

There are many ways that a Veteran may qualify to receive top-notch VA health care at over 1,400 medical centers and clinics across the nation. The VA has highly trained physicians and clinicians that allow the VA to address many specialties. You may also be able to receive assistance with prescription medication. VA health care is portable. Once enrolled, you may receive care at your home facility as well as the nearest VA facility while traveling. If you are a Veteran, and you want low-cost high quality health care, please take a moment to contact the El Dorado County Veteran Affairs Office so we can assist you in finding out if you are qualified for medical care. You can contact us to help you with the 10-10EZ application process today.

How do I make an appointment at the Veteran Services Office?

The El Dorado County Veteran Services Office is staffed Monday-Friday from 8:00am-5:00pm. Appointments can be scheduled by calling our office at (530) 621-5892.

Appointments are available on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

On Tuesday and Thursday, our office is open for walk-in clients between 9:00am-4:00pm. Please be aware that you may be asked to schedule an appointment if your visit requires further assistance that we can provide on a walk-in day.

What to expect at my appointment, and what do I need to bring?

If this is your first time in our office, you will need to bring your DD-214 or other discharge paperwork showing your discharge status. Appointments with our Veteran Services Representatives typically run for 1 hour. Depending on your reason for meeting, you may be required to bring additional information, for example, medical records to support a disability claim. Your VSR will be able to answer your questions, talk you through the process, and assist you with any applications or forms that need to be filed.

How do I get a Veterans ID card?

A Veteran ID Card (VIC) is a form of photo ID you can use to get discounts offered to Veterans at many stores, businesses, and restaurants. When you have this card, you won’t need to carry around your military discharge papers or share sensitive personal information to receive discounts. If you have a VIC, you don’t need to request another type of photo ID card to prove you’re a Veteran or to get retail or business discounts.

To get started, visit the VA ID Card information page.