The CalFresh Program (formally called Food Stamps) is a Federally funded program that helps low-income people buy the food they need for good health. For most households, CalFresh is only part of their food budget. Households must spend some of their own cash along with their CalFresh benefits in order to buy enough food for a month.

These people may qualify, even if they have a job, own a home, or are getting cash assistance or other benefits:

  • Families
  • Individuals
  • Legal Non-Citizens
  • Elderly People
  • People with Disabilities

You may be able to get CalFresh benefits within three calendar days if:

  • Your household's monthly gross income (income before deductions) is less than $150 and your cash on hand or in checking or savings is not more than $100; or
  • Your household's housing costs (rent/mortgage and utilities) are more than your monthly gross income and money in checking/savings; or
  • You are a migrant or seasonal farmworker household with less than $100 in checking or savings and
    1. Your income stopped, or
    2. Your income has started but you do not expect to get more than $25 in the next ten days.

How do I apply?

Do you know that you can apply for CalFresh, view documents, submit verifications, report new information, view your EBT balance and much more using BenefitsCal? BenefitsCal is also available on your mobile phone by going to the App Store or Google Play. For faster processing of your application fill out all questions on the application and submit proof of your income and identity.

Applicants can complete an online application at BenefitsCal or

Applicants can download the application:

Applicants can complete a paper application at any of our offices:

Placerville Office
3057 Briw Rd
Placerville, CA 95667

Shingle Springs Office
3883 Ponderosa Rd
Shingle Springs, Ca 95682

South Lake Tahoe Office
3368 Sandy Way
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150

Applicants can also apply over the phone by calling (530) 642-7300 for offices on the West Slope or (530) 573-3200 in the Tahoe basin.

Applicants can apply by Fax for Placerville at (530) 626-7734 or South Lake Tahoe at (530) 578-6049.

(Note: You have the right to file an incomplete application containing only the name, address and signature of a responsible member of the household.)

Call us or stop by one of our offices if you have questions. Office hours are Monday through Friday 8am to 5pm.

Bilingual services are available upon request. Los servicios bilingües están disponible al pedido.