Barking Dogs and Other Noise Problems

 While barking is a natural form of canine communication, excessive barking can be a disturbance.  pitbull.jpg

El Dorado County ordinance 6.12.060 pertains to dogs and other animals disturbing the peace. 

Barking Dog Brochure(PDF, 254KB)

Please Note: Every animal noise case is different; some are more difficult to resolve than others. It may take several complaints before you notice a difference. Your patience and persistence are greatly appreciated!

To report a barking dog during the day, contact Animal Services and provide the physical address where the dog is located. Animal Services initially responds to these complaints with a letter to the owner advising that a complaint has been made and provides educational materials on why dogs bark and actions the owner can take to help alleviate the barking. Please allow 10 days for this letter to be delivered and the owner(s) to make corrections before reporting a new complaint.

In the event of a second or third complaint, an Animal Services officer may visit the location in person to give additional education and enforcement to the dog owner. A warning notice may be posted on the door if the owner is not present. The Animal Services officer must witness the barking in order to issue a notice of violation (written warning).

If the barking persists, you may submit a Citizen Citation (also called a Second Party Citation or "Citizen's Arrest"). This document outlines your complaint and must be signed by you in the presence of an Animal Services official. By filing a Citizen Citation, you agree to testify in court about the incident. The dog owners will also be required to appear in court and fines may be involved.

Dogs barking at night are more challenging. The Sheriff's Office may be called to report a dog barking at night, but they will only respond if Animal Services has already sent a warning letter and has visited the property twice. The El Dorado County Sheriff's Dispatch can be reached at (530) 621-6600. If a Sheriff's deputy is available, he/she may be sent to the property to respond to the complaint. The officer must witness the dog barking to issue a notice of violation. If you live in the City of Placerville, you may also call the City of Placerville Police Department at (530) 642-5298.

Learn more about why dogs bark and how to prevent it.


If you have any questions, please call Animal Services:
(530) 621-5795 on the West Slope of El Dorado County 
(530) 573-7925 in South Lake Tahoe
(916) 358-3555 Ext. 5795 from El Dorado Hills