Public Health Birth Certificates

We are here to help navigate common questions about making changes to a birth certificate.

You are legally required to register the birth of your child within 21 days of the birth, but you have up to one year to register the birth at the El Dorado County Office of Vital Records.

Any birth registered on or after the child’s first birthday must be processed by the State Office of Vital Records as a Delayed Registration of Birth. To register the birth at the El Dorado Office of Vital Records, please call (530) 621-6121 to make an appointment.

Appointment Requirements

  • The mother and child must be present during the appointment
  • Proof of Identify (California driver’s license or California ID Card)
  • Proof of Pregnancy (certification from a doctor or licensed nurse-midwife)
  • Proof of Birthplace of Child (utility bill showing name of parent, with home address for the month of the birth)
  • Completed Worksheet and Affidavit for Out-of-Hospital Births

Making Changes to a Birth Certificate

If the hospital made an error on your child’s birth certificate, contact the hospital to obtain an amendment (a fee may be required by the State if the amendment is not filed within one year of the birth). The amendment must be filed with the State, which can take up to 7 months to be issued.

To change a name on the birth certificate that is not a hospital error may require a court order. If this is the case, please contact the California Office of Vital Records.

Listing the Father's Name if the Mother Is Not Married

If the mother is married, the father’s name will appear on the birth certificate. If the mother is not married, the father’s name can still appear on the birth certificate if there is a Declaration of Paternity stating that the man is the natural father of the child.

Declaration of Paternity

A Declaration of Paternity establishes a parent-child relationship between the father and the child. The Declaration of Paternity:

  • Must be signed by both parents
  • Must be filed with the State Office of Vital Records
  • Gives the father the legal rights and financial responsibilities of a parent under California law
  • Gives the father parental rights to seek custody or visitation, in a court action, and to be consulted about the possible adoption of the child

Declaration of Paternity(PDF, 232KB)

If you have any questions, please call the Office of Vital Records at (530) 621-6121.