Public Health Death Certificates

If you need a death certificate for a death that occurred more than 15 days ago, please visit the Recorder Clerk's page.

El Dorado's office of Vital Statistics can answer questions about getting copies of and making corrections to death certificates, as well as assist with the tracking of cremated remains.

How Soon Can I Get a Copy of a Death Certificate?

We aim to prepare a death certificate within 10 days of the death, but sometimes there can be delays. State law requires all deaths to be registered by the funeral home or mortuary with the Local Office of Vital Statistics within eight days of the death.

Making Corrections to a Death Certificate

Please contact the attending funeral home or mortuary that prepared the original death certificate to make any corrections.

The amendment must be filed with the Local Office of Vital Statistics and the State Office of Vital Records. Some amendments may take up to a year to be issued by the State.

Tracking Cremated Remains

Funeral homes and mortuaries, or the person in custody of the cremains (ashes), must complete an Application and Permit for Disposition of Human Remains.

Any change in the disposition (i.e., movement from personal residence to a burial place, or another family member’s residence, or the scattering of the cremains) requires a new permit and an amendment to the death certificate. The amendment to the death certificate allows future generations to correctly identify the final resting place of a family member.

For further questions, call our office: (530) 621-6121